Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Well, that didn't work

I finally relieved myself of some bad knitting mojo today. Back in October, I hit upon the brilliant idea of knitting these Sizzler scarves from Morehouse Merino (soft as Malabrigo, twice as expensive, but a local yarn to me!) as Christmas GIFTS (by the way, Morehouse is having a 30% off all lace yarn and lace kits sale right now... boy do I ever wish I was getting a kickback from them for free advertising. AHEM!).

Anyway, I chose the Indian Summer colorway because it looked bright and happy and very much my mother's colors, and I thought it would be a cute Christmas gift.

As you can see from the photo below, it was not so much cute as really really really hideous:

WHY did I finish it, you ask? Probably because I only recently experienced enough GAAK (growth as a knitter) to have the wherewithal to chuck a project that was really ugly.

So I took myself over to knitpicks.com (again, would really love a kickback for the free adverts. Guys? Hello!) and picked up some of the Jacquard dye in a teal color. Which I was hoping for, um, well, a teal colored dye result.

As you can see from the photos below, it came out not so much teal as black:



At this point I lost heart with the sizzler. It got wadded up and shoved into a cubbyhole where it has resided since October 2009.

Ella (sister in law, who benefits from all of my knitting f#$ ups) is currently growing out a pixie cut and is looking for things to cover her hair. She came over to pick up Georgia for her first sleepover today (MY BABY IS GETTING SO BIG!!!!!!!!) and for some reason the doomed Sizzler popped into my head as an appropriate hair covering. Of course, it is completely unblocked. And slightly felted from my dyeing attempt. But it works as a bandana, and will probably work as a scarf during the fall, and Ella is creative and will do cool things with it.

I took a couple of quick photos of it, and voila! Bad knitting mojo out of my life.

In other news, I'm still knitting on the boring Lettuce Pullover, the kitten (now named Beezer, short for Balthazar) is doing awesome, and I just pained my toenails a very fashionable brown/taupe color by Essie called Mink Muffs. No comments from the peanut gallery, Bruce.

I think my toenail color is the ONLY fashionable thing about me.

4 comments:

  1. glad you found a home for the Sizzler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No comment.

    --cough, cough, MILKDUDS!--

    Excuse me...summer cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it looks so bad...black goes with everything!

    ReplyDelete