Wednesday, August 18, 2010

By George, She's Got It!

This morning I took my entire stash out (which honestly, is not that big), laid it on our bed and brainstormed. (yes, I was totally playing hooky from writing about energy. Sigh. My boss (me) is going to be so ticked when she finds out.)

This is what I came up with:

The Perfect Pie Shawl by Veronik Avery, from the book Weekend Knitting:


(took my own picture of the book and cropped it, thank you very much powers that be)

Made from this:


Premier Mohair, 60% Mohair, 40% acrylic. The acrylic makes it so much softer than most of the other mohair yarn I've touched. It was in my stash. I have approximately 10,000 yards of it, which I purchased for a whopping $9 US. All this time I thought the yarn was a muddy brown shade, because I'd only been looking at it in artificial light. So I matched it with a hot pink yarn for the rickrack lace edging (which would have been pretty cool), however when I put it in natural light to photograph it, it's much more bluey-purpley-gray that I had expected and the hot pink looked all wrong. So I'll have to figure out what color to use. The good news is that it can wait until the shawl is complete, so I can get a really good idea of how the colors will fall in the shawl.

And yes, this will be my second Veronik Avery shawl this month. I'm noticing a theme.

The cool thing about the Perfect Pie is that it has a very interesting construction technique (short row shaping throughout) and looks like it'll go pretty quickly. The rick rack lace is attached in a pretty cool way as well, so I think this project will keep me entertained from beginning to end. Plus I've never knitted with mohair before (well, sorta. The Travel Shawl is with a mohair blend) so this should be an interesting experience.

Bruce, I promise I am going to knit you a bright scarf for this winter. And another sweater. Really. However both of these projects will require yarn purchases and you accompanying me to a yarn store (or at least looking at a catalog with me) so we need to schedule that in.

Or we can wait until Rhinebeck and you can pick out some super cool yarns from the trade show. I will stand in line for them while you get maple syrup cotton candy.

8 comments:

  1. Horrible when you have to keep yourself in line isn't it? Oh Rhinebeck! I had forgotten about it. I really want to go. Maybe I can squeeze it in this year if I combine it with a trip to Cooperstown...'cuz now I want maple syrup cotton candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be so awesome if you came to Rhinebeck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You find the nicest patterns in all the books I DON'T have! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl is lovely and your yarn is lovely - this can't become anything else than lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey bruce.....go the maple syrup route...will be much more pleasurable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is off topic....like when is jmac EVER on the knitting topic?..Heh!! but I was reading your post from last Sunday. Is your life in perfect order now? Cuz it sure looks like you've got all your "ducks in a row"!!!!!!!!!!!! Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the Maple syrup cotton candy may clinch it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty! Amazing what a little good light will do. =)

    ReplyDelete