Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's Just Bigger

No pictures of the knitting in progress at the moment, because everything looks exactly the same, just bigger. Which is kind of hard to show in a photograph due to the whole, you know scale thing.

Knitted some more on the Lettuce. Which looks like it may actually fit me now that I'm actually knitting to the correct stitch count, instead of to half of what it should be.

Spent some time last night watching episodes two and three of Mad Men. It really is a gorgeous show, but it leaves me so cold. It's absolutely brutal. I tend to fill my life with things that are uplifting and happy (mostly to counterbalance my dark personality) and I think maybe Mad Men is not something that will be good for me in the long run.

January Jones' character (Mrs. Draper) was wearing some excellent sweaters in the show last night.

And speaking of excellent knitwear, did anyone else get totally distracted by the knits in Despicable Me?

All of the fabric was finely textured in this movie - I think the animators did a beautiful job with it. But what made me the happiest is that the knitted items were quite accurate. They really studied the knit stitch and put perfect representations of it in all the knitted garments in the movie. AWESOME.



Gru has the scarf in the picture above, and an excellent ribbed turtleneck sweater. Gru's mother knits (pictured in a flashback to his childhood). The little girl on the left is wearing a knitted pink hat and sweater. Though Vector (not pictured) is wearing a track suit, they even showed highly defined knit stitches in the texture of his clothing. Oh, and the evil orphanage lady was wearing a pink angora sweater.

That's about it for me today. Off to attempt to work and stuff. (oh, and good news on that front, I was approached by a site to have a two week "tryout" as their main writer on energy. Pretty cool, no?)

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your good news. I hope you love the tryout!

    I am with you on Mad Men. I watched a few episodes, but I just found it all kind of depressing.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's so exciting- you'll have to let us know how it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds like great news! To be a main writer!

    I'm sorry you don't like Mad Men, I really, really LOVE that show! Can't wait for season four to start airing in Sweden so I get to see it! But my husband says the same thing as you, he doesn't feel anything for any of the characters, especially not for Don Draper (whom I adore). But Betty Draper always has the most amazing dresses on, I wish I had lived during the 50's so I could wear clothes like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the exact same reaction to Mad Men. I tried to like it, I really did--it's a well-made show, and I like to "support" good TV, but it is just raw and depressing. Sometimes that's ok, but I just couldn't do it week after week like that.

    Congrats on your tryout! I hope it goes really well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I agree with you about Mad Men, but I'm totally on board with the Despicable Me knits. So...um...what do I have to do to get a gru scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw your comment on my blog about Times Square. That's funny, since we were also both in Union Square on the same day a couple of weeks ago.

    I just read on someone else's blog (can't remember who) the exact same comment as yours---that Mad Men "left her cold". I personally love the show. I think it is well-acted, beautifully styled and I am able to leave the depressing themes behind at the end of each episode.

    Have a good day. I am heading to Governor's Island today, so don't follow me :)

    ReplyDelete