Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The sweater of doom!

I thought I had finally conquered the issues with the cabled panels on Bruce's Sweater (Terry's Pullover) that I have been working on for an eternity. (November 9, 2009). Ok, so it only FEELS like an eternity.

I ripped, reknitted, discovered that it still wasn't right, ripped, reknitted (repeat x5).

On Saturday I sat down on the subway (apparently, this is where I concentrate the best, go figure) and recharted the entire cabled section by hand on graph paper, with only a little interference from Georgia. I would put a picture of it up here and all, but unfortunately, it would go against a copyright or something, and I don't wanna do that.

The re-charting worked. I had a lovely visual of how the entirety of the cabled section looked, and I put in helpful directional arrows reminding me which way I should be reading the chart on any given side.

Of course, now I've discovered that I have about 60 too many stitches left on my needles at the end of the cabled section (oops) and am scrambling a little madly to reduce the number of stitches as fast as I can before it's time to shut this thing down.

Also, it looks like I'm going to have enough yarn to finish the sweater. Phew.

Here are some crappy pictures taken at night:



6 comments:

  1. Oh this sweater will be adorable Virginia - don't give up! Wonderful cables! I really admire you on this one, if it has been my projeckt it would have been in the trash long time ago - I am not a patient lady :-) Go girl! You can make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool sweater :-) As for the cabling troubles, I feel your pain: I did a sweater for my hubby that had loads of cables, and it was basically my first real adventure in cabling. The thing took over a year. He loves it, but all I ever see are the spots where the cables turn the wrong way. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cables- they look so delicate and neat! I can't imagine being able to concentrate in public- I'm like a kid and can't stay focused when there's so much to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have the patience to knit a sweater, much less one with cables. I am in awe of your sticktoitiveness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have soooooooooo much more perseverance than me! I also admire your 'sticktoitiveness'!

    ReplyDelete