Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Still in the Boring Phase

As mentioned above, I'm still in the boring phase of the knitting projects. Everything looks pretty much the same, except bigger. Progress on the Coraline is sloooooooooooooooooooooow going. DK weight yarn, small needles, stockinette stitch. I've almost made it to the point where I fold for the hem, but past that... not much.

The Damson is still going without a hitch, which rocks. Still amazingly on count for each row. Go figure.

On the cooking front, I had a very Martha Stewart President's Day.

I made granola from the February issue of MS Living, which was delicious, except that I pretty much substituted for everything but the oats and maple syrup. I used hazlenuts instead of pecans, dried cranberries instead of rasins, pumpkin seeds instead of sesame seeds... yeah. Anyway, it was good. The basic recipe is 3 cups of oats, 1/4 cup of maple syrup and dump in whatever else you think will taste good, spread on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes at 300. (add the cranberries/raisins/whatever towards the last 10 minutes) The cool thing is that it isn't too sweet, and it is very filling (had some about two hours ago and my belly is still pleasantly full).

I also made one of the dinners from another MS Living magazine (no idea what issue) that involved roasted pork, roasted cauliflower (with pasta), spinach salad and a cranberry compote that was to die for.

Again with the substitutions, instead of using regular brandy for the cranberry compote I substutited apple brandy, which was PHENOMENAL. As much as I loathe cooked fruit, this was a pretty special mixture.


Also, it is snowing again. Had about an inch when I woke up this morning, and they're predicting up to five more throughout the day.

I can't find any boots that I like (for a decent price) for snow. They also need to be suitable for work. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. you have our snow! I don't know about the boots but I love Martha (except for maybe her cupcake book) I don't know how she comes up with the stuff or why (homemade marshmallows??) but that woman has style.

    ReplyDelete