Sunday, June 27, 2010

Kate tagged me with this quickie quiz. As we spent all weekend DOING, I'm a little exhausted, and can't really put up a comprehensive post. I'm so tired, I can't even remember what we did yesterday. Today, Bruce, Georgia and I marched with AOL (Bruce's employer) in the Gay Pride Parade. It was awesome. It was also very gay. And very hot (temperature-wise). When we got on the subway with the kid, there were three guys standing near us who were wearing underpants, fairy wings, sneakers,dog collars and a lot of body glitter. They were all a little self conscious around Georgia (who was staring) until I told them that she was jealous of their glitter and their wings. That made sense to all of us. See? Common ground. If I had told them about Georgia's love of Lady Gaga, they would have been TOTAL BFFs.

Anyway, THE QUIZZY THINGY:

1. What's your staple meal (ie. what meal do you cook most often when you can't be bothered to be adventurous) ?


Hmm. Don't have all that many staple meals. When I do actually cook, I usually don't bother unless I want to go to a lot of bother. I guess lasagna from "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures." It's an awesome recipe and takes very little effort. If I don't feel like cooking, then I don't cook. For the most part. If I do end up cooking when I don't feel like it, then it's generally a disaster. Maybe for us it is really Stauffer's Mac & Cheese. Georgia loves that stuff. Bruce and I like it too.

2. What do you want to be when you grow up?

Indiana Jones. Or a drag queen. I don't want to let a little thing like gender get in the way of my being fabulous. When I was six, my grandmother, Mimi, took me to South Beach, Miami on some bizarre errand or another (she worked as an accountant for the mob) and we wandered around some drag clubs. That night at dinner the rest of my (very conservative) relatives - great aunts and uncles and suchlike - asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I said rather breathlessly "A drag queen!" Mimi hadn't explained to me that drag queens were men, when I had asked her who those wonderfully glamorous women were. When she finally stopped laughing that evening and told me, it was like finding out there was no such thing as Santa Claus.

3. What book are you reading at the moment (if any)?

Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Knitwear Design Workshop by Shirley Paden. I'm out of fiction for the moment.

4. How do you relax?

Reading. Knitting. Reading or Knitting. Oh, and attempts at meditation. Also the Botanical Gardens. And going to bookstores. Sniffing perfume (ha, you thought I was going to say glue there for a minute, didn't you? Dirty dirty peoples).

5. What color are the interior walls of your home?

Orange, apricot, pepto bismol pink (what we get for letting a 4 year old choose her own paint colors), tan, navyish blue (kinda halfway between cadet and navy), and green. We rent. But apparently NYC is different on the whole painting thing than the rest of the world. Then again, some of the people in my building have been here for 30 years or more.

6. What is your guiltiest pleasure?

Romance novels. But I don't really feel guilty about them. Maybe chocolate? Maybe ice cream from the ice cream truck. I don't really feel guilty about much.

7. What time is bedtime and getting up time?

Bedtime? 10ish. (Actually going to sleep, closer to midnight). Waking up? Ass crack of dawn (which really sucks during the summer). I will wake up with the first light every time. Dragging ass out of bed? Around 7am.

8. How long do you spend reading blogs (per day or per week)?

Per day? An hour or two. Unless I get really into commenting.


Other people I shall tag this with?

Hobbygasa
Knitterwocky (even though I know you're not knitting right now, this isn't knitting related)
RainyDaisy

And you know, anybody else who might have fun with this post.

7 comments:

  1. I love romance novels! The trashy kind with bodice ripping and forbidden passions and men who wear kilts and have sword fights. The best are the kind that get left behind in laundry mats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't mention George's total joy in passing out beads and ice cream sandwiches. The kid is a total diva!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your #2 made me laugh! Thanks for that. And I liked #6, too: 'more joy, less shame.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. your apartment sounds colorful! i got tagged with this quiz last week too. guess i'd better get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahha! Drag queen! Just remember that this is America, and you can be anything you want to be when you grow up...

    Oh, and thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe Virginia, some great reading about you. I can totally understand why you choose drag queen, they are ladies to their fingertips :-)I will do this tag in my blog on a rainy day, inbetween vacations - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my son, DIL and family life in SF--the castro district no less (the integrate the neighborhood--they are straight--) my granddaughter too love the guy pride parades--and has openly admired the lovely costumes..

    Her mother (DIL) wanted to raise the kids gender neutral--but Granddaughter has made the point--boys get to wear pink and sequins and pearls, so i can too!

    children are so accepting of everyone--like the song in south pacific says, You have to be careful taught to hate.. (and i am always glad when some one misses that lesson!)

    ReplyDelete