Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Short architectural break

I got to run errands today at work. This is always special because 99% of the time I am chained to my desk.

Even better, my errand was to Dick Blick up on Bond Street. Yes, I got to go to the actual store. Yes, I did buy a couple of things for myself. And yes, I managed to keep it to $20. Which is impressive because that store is AWESOME.

(I bought some brushes, some sepia tone drawing pens, a book of watercolor paper and a tiny drawing pad) I'm like a kid in a candy store there. It was amazing. It has put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.
Anyway, I saw a couple of cool things on Bond Street, which I feel the need to share.
First up are these sculptures. I saw them from a distance and originally thought they were dead plants. They're very delicate:
And then a few doors down was this building. I'm not usually a fan of contemporary architecture, but I really liked this one. It looks like your typical metal and glass facade, but upon closer inspection what I thought was metal is actually green glass.

The picture below looks slightly out of focus because of all the layers of glass. Very cool.
The building had a really cool scrim on the bottom floor, but I couldn't get a picture of it because the doorman came out and glared at me. Eek.

And in knitting news, Georgia's Wispy is coming along beautifully. Almost done with the shrug part of the sweater. The only downside is that the KnitPicks yarn I got is very stiff and scratchy. I'm not thrilled about it. I hope it softens upon blocking. However, if it doesn't, it was a very cheap and quick experiment, as this has only taken a couple hours of work thus far.
Oh, and it would have helped if I'd read the directions. Heh. Made a big dumb mistake and caused myself a lot of trouble because I didn't.






4 comments:

  1. So cool sculptures! Really great street-shots you have here. I love when you do this, it is awesome to see photos from your town :-) Hmmm, is that a sort of shop for artists you visitied - with papers and pencils, and paint and canvas and, and... If so, this sort of shops bring out the kid in me too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing the things you begin to "see" and appreciate when you start photographing life??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only browsed the Dick Blick website, but jell-us!

    The glass looks like it's glowing. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete