Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Finished Object: Nancy's Honey Cowl (and other news)

On my way to the Debbie Stoller event last night, I got (as per the MTA special) stuck on the subway for nearly two hours. I was a little late to the event.

The positive side of the situation was that I had two uninterrupted hours to finish up Katie's sister's honey cowl and listen to SMODcast (Kevin Smith and Scott Moiser).

Pattern: honey cowl (my rav page) by madelinetosh (rav pattern page)
Yarn: Malabrigo Silky Merino in Cape Cod Gray, two skeins
Needles: US8 (5mm)

Little cat feet creeping into the frame... heh.


So, last night I got to see Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn for the first time (I love going to new places in the city):


See Debbie Stoller pretend to be a knit stitch (she's in the center) with some audience members on stage (terrible lighting, I'm sorry):


Purchased her new book and got her to sign for me, which was REALLY exciting, as I taught myself to knit from the first Stitch n' Bitch book.

AAAAAAAAAAAND, I got to meet OfTroy which was really wonderful. We rode the subway up to Times Square together and talked about books, history of NYC, education and a little knitting.

It was an AWESOME day, and I'm so glad that I got to go to the event. It had a rather small turnout though. I hope the trains didn't prevent people from getting to Brooklyn.

Bruce tried on the honey cowl last night and decided that he wants one as well, so I have three more to churn out. He really likes how it looks like chain mail (as you may have read in his comments) and how he can double it and cover both his face and the back of his head if he needs to. And honestly, it looks great on him.

6 comments:

  1. for me, the best part was getting to met you in person (i wish the delay was on the homeward bound trip!) Army plaza looks great at night--and different--and just as wonderful in day light!

    (it horrid to drive through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time! Love that pic of Army plaza. Congrats on making great use of your subway time...the cowl looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuck in the subway, what a nightmare - that is one thing I don't miss. In the countryside there is only busses, and my car of cause :-)So glad you had a great evening, it sounds wonderful! Lovely cowl you have here, this must be really fun knitting since you agreed to knit yet another. That would be five in total if I remember correct :-) And your Bruce is more lucky than my DH - he never gets anything knitted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a great night - apart from the gain of knitting time on the subway - and I love the honey cowl - and must put it on my list for next winter

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally sold me on the honey cowl. Now if I can only get you to knit a coat of armor.

    Do you use steel wool for that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the honey cowl.
    love that you went to that event. i learned to knit from her first S&B book too!
    thanks for your vote for my photo, and no i didn't win last time, but it's still fun.

    ReplyDelete