Monday, May 30, 2011

More actual knitting content. And flowers.

Well, I'm still on the Oregon Coast. I really like it here, although it rains. A lot. I was joking with a friend that I'd counted approximately 15 different types of rain in five minutes on my second day here.

It wasn't an exaggeration. I haven't re-acclimated to the whole Oregonians-standing-out-in-the-rain-as-if-nothing-wet-were-falling-from-the-sky thing either. We went to visit Skip, who is a friend of my mom's (he's also a knitter. and a glass artist. he's AWESOME) and we all popped out to his garden to view the bonsais. In what seemed like a downpour. Nobody else seemed to mind.

It also hasn't cracked 50 degrees F (10 C) here, and I swear I'll freeze to death, between the humidity and the chill. Bruce says it's been in the 70s and 80s and sunny in NYC. He and Georgia went to the beach. In actual bathing suits. I went to the beach. In two polar fleece jackets, jeans, sneakers, smartwool socks, a hat and scarf. I was cold.

DESPITE the weather, I still like it here. The landscape is gorgeous. The mountains fall right into the sea, the cliff roads provide astounding views and there are lots of neat flowers and cool birds. We saw a bright orange grosbeak today. Very pretty.

Dewdrop in lichen:


Another crazy columbine. These things look like alien fairies. Or something:


I've knitted two scarves for my mother (on size 15 needles, so not too tough) out of one skein of Berroco Lumina each.

Lumina Scarf - Green


Lumina Scarf - Blue


We have also hit nearly every yarn store on the north Oregon Coast. Twice.

Yarn has been purchased. My mother underwrote most of the purchases (THANK YOU MA!).

Two skeins of Astral by the Alpaca Yarn Company in the Virgo colorway:


Two skeins of Plymouth Happy Feet in the colorway "24."


One skein of Socks that Rock in the Rooster Rock colorway:


One skein of Socks that Rock in the Tide Pooling colorway:


And one skein of Malabrigo Sock in the Ochre colorway, currently being knitted into a pair of Monkey socks for my mother. She has small feet, which is quite an attractive feature in a sock victim recipient.

7 comments:

  1. love that STR rooster rock yarn! sounds like you are enjoying yourself, despite the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I miss the pacific northwest! I was born and grew up there, am now in Virginia in 100 degree heat today. UGH.

    Your yarns (and socks!) are positively lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy rainy days, but I think I'd go crazy if the sun didn't come out after a couple of them!

    LOVE those scarves you made your mom. You've acquired some awesome new stash and small feet is a definite bonus in the handknit sock arena!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have the same weather as us :-) Around 10C, lots of rain, and heavy storms that usually appears only in fall... But hey, we have our woollies, we survive :-) The weatherforecast sais 20C and shining sun for weekend here - yay!!
    Lovely yarn you have choosen! And beautiful scarves you have knitted for your mother - hope she is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, we've been having rain in Sweden for about a week too! Although today has been scorching hot with sun and a very warm wind, so maybe summer is finally emerging :)

    I saw your yarn on Ravelry, and now I see why you had stashed so much at one time: Holiday shopping! Don't I know it...

    Hugs / Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are doing quite well yarn shopping. Great buys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful yarn. That flower is pretty disturbing: I think I saw it kill Ensign Jones on an episode of the original Star Trek.

    As for the weather, we've pulled out the summer wardrobe...and I've just realized, once again, how drab most people's clothing is in New York!

    ReplyDelete