Monday, November 9, 2009

Oy, the Frustration

I've cast on and ripped out three times for Bruce's sweater. I'm doing Terry's Pullover from the Interweave Knits Holiday. I decided against Rhapsody in Cables, because I'm really not skilled enough yet to be able to pull that one off. I'll probably make an intricately cabled sweater for Georgia first before I attempt a full-sized adult version.

Anyway, I have to build myself back up to attempting this one a fourth time, because it's just so damn much work to cast on this many stitches.

The first try, I cast on, started knitting the ribbing in the round, and then realized I'd twisted it about halfway through the ribbing.

Second try, I cast on, and my cast on was way too tight. I had a tightness problem on my first try, but I was hoping to get past that. So I cast on, started the ribbing, it was so tight I could barely pull the stitches over the join in the needle, and ripped out.

Third try, I cast on over two needles, which was waaaaaaaaaay too loose. I started the ribbing, sailed through the first three or four rounds, and discovered that the first round of ribbing looked like crappydoodle due to the loose cast on. There's no point in continuing knitting on something that you're not pleased with from the very first round.

Anyway, I think I need a few quiet hours to myself to work back up to casting on for this thing again. Ever hopeful, I'm carrying it around in my bag... I don't think the few quiet hours is going to happen. So I'm just going to have to suck it up, and cast on while I'm on the subway. At least the only people there who talk to me are crazy, and relatively easy to ignore.

I'm just trying to build up the nerve to do this again. (You can do eeet!)


Featherweight Cardigan

I've broken out the sleeves from the yoke and am about two inches past the armpits. I'm flying through the body. I've been getting at least an inch+ done an hour. (45 minutes of uninterrupted knitting time on the subway this morning produced 1 inch of knitting)

It's a really beautiful pattern. So simple, gorgeous... I will be knitting pretty much ever pattern I can get my hands on from Hannah Fettig. The Whisper Cardigan was amazing, and the design was genius. I will be making another one.

Here's a picture of my Whisper from the back (please excuse my poor posture. I was tired and sitting on a rock):


And yes, I will be making a Featherweight for myself also.


The Herbivore

I found the correct pattern and the correct yarn for the project I'm knitting for my friend C!

It shall be the Herbivore and I'm knitting it out of Lorna's Laces sock in Envy.

I'm having major issues with posting pictures today. I'll work on that.

So I'll be casting on for that soon.


Christmas

I have a bunch of gifts finished, and I'm going to be working on some more soon. And some of these are massively overdue (like as in, I owe some of these people favors for a lifetime, and should probably be knitting them a sweater a month for AT LEAST the next ten years, so these first few items will be only a drop in the bucket). So as soon as I get everything photographed, I'll be shipping them out.

Please don't fall over, faint, or otherwise injure yourself in surprise if you actually receive your Christmas gifts BEFORE Christmas this year...

3 comments:

  1. As usual, I have no clue as to what all the knitting terms of which you speak mean, but I do know a good shot when I see it. The pic of Wisconsin handing you the fleurs??? OMG....plz send me the full res file of that and lemme play with it??? Plz?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday, when I'm wearing this sweater and people look at it and say "Oh, that's a nice sweater," I'm going to tell them the whole, inspirational story...a saga of love, devotion, and merino...after which I will watch their tears well up at the beautiful intensity of the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhhhhh.....a man of words. Doesn't get any better than that!!

    ReplyDelete