Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Aural Satisfaction

Things I have been listening to while knitting:

  1. Kylie Minogue's new album, Aphrodite. Particularly this song. Yes, I am a gay (male) clubrat at heart. I love Kylie. I have all of her albums. She rocks. I wish she was more popular in the States.

  2. BBC's A History of the World in 100 Objects podcast. It is available on their website and on iTunes. For free. Each podcast is about 15 minutes long and really gives me some food for thought. One of the coolest ideas they've put forth recently is that what makes humans different from other animals isn't that we make and use tools (other animals do too), but that we make tools before we need them. We anticipate the need for tools. (She says as she knits a sweater in preparation for the winter) It's also made me think about knitting in a temporal context. My sweater might last for 60 years before it starts to disintegrate. I'm using a skill that is at least 1,000 years old, if not older. It takes time to learn the skill and time to knit the sweater. The fibers probably took a year or two to get from the sheep into my hands in their present state.

  3. SMODcast with Kevin Smith and Scott Moiser. It's raunchy, filthy and on occasion so funny I laugh until I cry. Also free on iTunes.

The September Circle is coming along well. I would post a picture of it, except that I'm currently being pinned down by a kitten who is aggressively sleeping.

The circle is going fast. I'm getting a section done per evening, and am currently on section four of seven. I should be done by the end of the week. The yarn is addictive. I have trouble putting it down because I'm so interested in seeing what colors come up next.

And I think my next project (while I'm still working on that BLASTED fricking five inches of 1x1 ribbing for the Lettuce Pullover, and questioning my sanity) is the Offset Raglan by Veronik Avery from Simple Style (rav links)


in this yarn (Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted in Fuchsia):


I love so many patterns in this book. I want to make a good majority of them. I suppose I'd better get started.

3 comments:

  1. I can't listen to anything when knitting - too busy counting :-) It is fun when a project turnes out like your September Circle, like can't let be knitting beacuse I am soooo exited to see how next section blends in. The Offset raglan is beautiful, and the color in your yarn also - ths will be the perfect match! Lol, I will definitivly read The Orchid Thief - need to check out if it is published in Norwegian :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea about the confluence of thousands of years of knitting knowledge and a cast of dozens of yarn producers, designers and merchants helping you create a sweater that may last for a century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that pink! That will be such a nice outfit-making sweater.

    ReplyDelete